A popular street food which is easy to make by frying a batter consisting of simple ingredients. It is enjoyed hot with chutney or hot sauce.
- 2 Cups Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- Chop Spring Onion
- ½ Tbsp Sodium Bicarbonate
- 1 Egg (Optional)
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (gram flour, plain flour, salt, sodium bicarbonate)
- Slowly incorporate the water into the dry mix in order to obtain a batter and leave to rest for 30 mins.
- Note: The batter should be of a thick consistency.
- Add the beaten egg and spring onions to the batter. Mix well.
- Half fill your frying pan with vegetable oil and leave to medium hot.
- Drop the batter one at a time by constantly stirring so that they puff up.
- Remove and strain on a paper towel in order to get rid of excess oil.
* Best served with coriander chutney or any sweet chilli sauce of your choice.
** You can also add cheese cubes to the batter and deep fry them
Source: eMauritius Videos