Gateau Piment is a typical Mauritian snack, which can be found at almost any merchant. However these, deep-fried spicy balls are easy to make with split peas and chopped chilies as the main ingredients.
- Split Peas
- Chopped dry chili
- Chopped spring onion
- ½ table spoon of baking soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
- Oil for cooking
- Wash and soak dhal if possible all night
- Drain split peas and blend until you have a fine dough
- Add chopped dry chili and spring onions
- Add ½ table spoon of baking soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
- Stir with ½ table spoon of salt
- Heat up oil over hot to medium temperature in a frying pan (Fritters have to be fully submerge in oil)
- Shape mixture into small balls and deep fry
- When the fritters turn into a brownish color, drain oil and put on absorbent paper
Steps 1 to 5 can be prepared and then freeze for future use.