This smoothie is definitely quick to make, which comes in handy for a healthy morning breakfast. The oats add fiber and make the smoothie extra thick, while the apples and dates add flavour and sweetness, without making it too sweet.
No. of Servings - 1
- Apple - 1
- Oats - 2 tbsp (rolled oats - I used Trader joe's organic old fashioned oats)
- Milk - 1 and 1/4 cup (warm milk preferably - I used organic lactose free low fat milk)
- Dates - 4 (I used California pitted dates)
- Ground cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Crushed ice
- Soak dates, chopped apple and oats in warm milk for at 20 mins. If you are using a high speed blender like vitamix, skip this step.
- Separate the soaked ingredients from milk and blend them into a fine paste.
- Add milk, ground cinnamon and crushed ice and blend again.
- Pour it in a glass and sprinkle ground cinnamon on the top if desired.
- Soaking oats prior to blending gives smoother texture to the smoothie. Soaking increases the digestibility of oats and they will be better absorbed by the body.
- Increase or decrease the amount of oats according to your preference.
Source: Queen of Spices